Heavy gunfire and reports of possible drone activity near Venezuela’s presidential palace sparked fresh security concerns in Caracas late Tuesday, as the country remains on edge following a US-led operation that resulted in the capture and removal of President Nicolás Maduro.
According to witnesses cited by AFP, shots were fired near the Miraflores presidential palace in central Caracas at around 8.00 pm local time (0000 GMT). US-based BNO News reported that the White House said the United States was “not involved” in the disturbance reported near the palace complex.
A source close to the Venezuelan government told AFP that unidentified drones were spotted flying over the presidential compound, prompting security forces to open fire. The source said the situation was later brought under control, though no immediate details were available regarding damage or casualties.
BNO News further reported that heavy gunfire was heard across several parts of Caracas for approximately 45 minutes, including neighbourhoods close to the presidential palace. Residents also reported hearing possible drone or aircraft noises during the incident, while some areas experienced temporary power outages.
Authorities have yet to provide an official explanation for the gunfire or the reported aerial activity.
The incident comes amid heightened political and security tensions in the Venezuelan capital following the swearing-in of Delcy Rodríguez as interim president after Maduro’s capture. Rodríguez, a close ally of Maduro, assumed office after the former president was detained during a weekend raid by US military forces and transferred to the United States.
Earlier on Monday, the Venezuelan government published a decree declaring a “State of External Commotion,” granting sweeping emergency powers to the presidency and directing security forces to act against individuals accused of supporting the US operation, CNN reported.
The decree instructs national, state and municipal police agencies to “immediately undertake the search and capture throughout the national territory of any person involved in the promotion or support” of actions deemed hostile to Venezuela.
According to CNN, the decree was dated Saturday and signed by Maduro on the same day he was captured by US forces. It was later endorsed by interim president Rodríguez. Although the decree had originally been drafted and announced in late September—weeks after the United States began deploying naval assets in the Caribbean—its contents were not made public at the time and were subsequently updated to reflect developments over the weekend.
The emergency measure carries the force of law for an initial period of 90 days, with the option of a further 90-day extension. Under Venezuela’s Constitution, such a declaration allows the president to exercise near-total authority over political, economic and social matters in situations that seriously endanger national security, public order or state institutions. This is the first time the provision has been invoked since the Constitution came into force in 1999.
Meanwhile, Maduro pleaded not guilty to multiple federal charges during his appearance before a federal court in New York City on Monday.
In a related development, Switzerland announced the immediate freezing of any Swiss-based assets linked to Maduro, stating that if the assets are found to be of illicit origin, efforts will be made to ensure they ultimately benefit the Venezuelan population.


.png)
The opinions posted here do not belong to 🔰www.indiansdaily.com. The author is solely responsible for the opinions.
As per the IT policy of the Central Government, insults against an individual, community, religion or country, defamatory and inflammatory remarks, obscene and vulgar language are punishable offenses. Legal action will be taken for such expressions of opinion.